September 27, 2015

Interview: The Plastik

„I am totally confused about your appearance“, is my astonished exclamation when I arrive at her home where she invited me to. „Isn’t your store all about gothic and black and darkish stuff?“ The Plastik owner and creator Vae (aikea.rieko) laughs and leads me to a table to take a seat. I won’t sit down for a while because I am way too busy to discover zealously all the cute details I can find on that table: fancy cakes, cupcakes, buttercakes, pancakes, brownies, pies, tarts, flans, puddings, pumpkin bread, sweeties and candies, icecream, tea, coffee, hot chocolate with a cream topping, ornamental plants and: a laptop!
Interview: The Plastik
The entrance at The Plastik mainstore welcomes you with a cosy atmosphere
„If this was my workspace, I would never leave“, is what I state before I finally sit down. Once again, I eye up Vae who looks like an angel with horns to me. „I buy everything in white!“, she explains and points at the table with a grin: „This is my random collection of sweets. I’ve been building into it for at least two years.“ I shake my head because I just can’t believe what I see. It is amazing! Vae shakes her head a bit, too, and adds: „I can’t help it. I’m really picky but when I find one I like, I go nuts! Well, I’m obsessed with them.“ Obviously! But I could stay here forever.

„I wouldn’t have expected all that. You look white and innocent but I connect ‚gothic‘ and ‚black‘ with your label.“ Though I had a little idea already before that Vae is not only into ‚dark stuff‘ when I saw that she just joined Shiny Shabby for her first participation. And Shiny Shabby is well-known for a more pastel-colored style. „A lot of people do, but I think that's mainly because I use the dark woods, and the rustic elements and the dark themes for my store because I find them to be really gorgeous. I'm trying to ligthen up a lot lately because I don't just make dark stuff. Although it is my favorite thing, I want people to be able to see that I'm not just all about the dark and the witchy and the creepy“, Vae explains with a wink.

„I started with Second Life back in 2006 but I remember The Plastik being on the grid like forever. When did you actually start?“, I ask for some details. „I think Plastik, with the current name, probably started somewhere around 2006 or 2007. I'd had a few smaller stores on different accounts before then, all the way back to 2004.“ A quick calculation shows me that The Plastik exists already for almost 10 years! That is a considerably long time, especially in a virtual environment. „What motivates you to continue? I could imagine that after all those years, you sometimes go through phases when you just want to break off with designing?“ Talking about breaks, all out of a sudden, someone breaks in and lands on Vae’s head after teleport!

„And that’s my manager on my head!“, Vae cheers, „Sorchiee!“ Sorchiee? Yes, that Sorchiee whom I have met for the first time during my interview with Enchantment: Second Life is a village! „I take breaks once in a while, and most of the time it's not by choice. I've got a diminished immune system so I get sick fairly easily, which requires me, every month or so, to take a few days off to recharge. I always tell people that the day I stop really loving and enjoying the work I do, I will start the process of finding something else. But I really do love having this as a job. I'm always excited to work on new things, and I still get giddy when I'm working on something I'm really looking forward to. And I still find the time every day to take little breaks: I go on Tumblr, I take stretch breaks, I'll play a little bit of Diablo 3. I'm getting a lot better at balancing my time!“
Interview: The Plastik
Your path into the mainstore is enlighted by hundreds of little star shells
I connect with Plastik also very detailed jewelry and want to know how she acquired her skills. „Well, before the mesh capabilities came out, I was already familiar with the formats, the layouts, and the way mesh handles. I've been an avid modder of the Elder Scrolls community since 2003-2004, probably before, which has amazing games like Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim. I've always been really into modding games and looking at the inner workings of their design. So it was really easy for me to transition.“ Before mesh came to Second Life, people were working with sculpties. What is her opinion about sculpties? „I'll admit, sculpties were such a mess. I dont think anyone really enjoyed working on them, they were just so limiting. There are always upsides to them, too. But when it comes to creating, I think mesh really re-invigorated how i do my work, in the same way that mesh bodies being introduced reinvigorated my love for system layer work, which was what a very large percentage of my really early work was all about.“

Layers, I wonder? When mesh hit the grid, I saw a lot people going crazy and stating that they would never ever wear layers again. „Do you think layers could become as important as mesh clothes again, Vae?“ -- „I love the layers. I always said that we needed more and more layers! I think its important when you do clothing that's got appliers for mesh parts, not to leave out the system layers and all possible mesh layers. I always try to offer every possible way to wear items so that people who cannot afford, or prefer to just wear their normal default avatar, or want to layer, have the option, too. I dont like anyone feeling left out. For mesh bodies and layers, though, i definitely think there should be more. Layering has always been a really popular thing, and I think that they‘ll always be relevant. I don‘t really know about the importance, because I know how much everyone adores their mesh parts, but I still use both constantly!“

Since we were just talking about variation of offers, I am curious if she has restricted herself to any limits what she wants to design. Maybe she would never create bicycles? „You know, I think about that often! I've considered getting into furniture and decor, and stuff like that, but I rarely ever find the time. I think the only thing I won't really get into are vehicles and cars, I know how much work goes into every single one and I don't think I'd be able to dedicate that much time. I admire the people who do, though!“ Vae creates many skins, a collection of nail appliers, a plenty of clothes and numerous accessoires, and I see her offering her creations more and more often with a broad HUD for color options.

It must be a lot of work. But designing is only one part of a business. A store owner has to keep many other criterias in mind: to watch the market, to promote new releases, to establish in events, to produce within deadlines and so much more: „Where do you get all your inspiration from to be up to date and bring always something new?“ Vae is participating in a lot of popular and well-known events, so I assume that she has a very tight schedule. „Well, a lot of that I credit to my manager Sorchiee! We spend a lot of time together getting ideas together, brainstorming, and she kicks my ass to make sure I am always on time. She's also been the one who's been helping me market my style and focus more on the things I needed to do to really get my stuff out there and noticed. I've got this dropbox folder of inspiration as well as several sketchbooks of things I've wanted to do since I was a teenager. And so I go through and I look at it all for inspiration when the event has a theme.“
Interview: The Plastik
Behind the bridge is a huge meadow with mystical trees
Time flies! Again, one hour is almost over. „Is there anything teasing you’d like to share with us? For example what you plan to come up with next?“ -- „Well, I‘ve got a few really amazing corsets coming out as well as a dress that's gonna blow people's minds! I'm working on some body parts as well that are going to be really awesome for fantasy buffs, and several new skin lines. My workload is huge, but I am hoping that everyone will find something they love in the coming months! Plus, halloween is coming, and all of my customers and people who know me know it's my favorite time of the year, and I go all out!“

That sounds indeed teasing! I am looking forward to that in excitement but now, I finally screw up my courage and hope that I wouldn’t sting into a wasp‘s nest. Because there is one last question left for which I have waited more than one hour. Actually, the only reason to request an interview was to get an answer to this matter. -- Okay, just kidding! But I still have to ask: „Before I came over, I read something in your profile which won’t let me sleep if I continue to brood over it. What the heck is the ‚Leafy-Peepybirds animation‘? English is not my native language, so some things sound really weird to me. I have no idea what it is, but to me, it sounds like a bird on acid… ?“

I should have known better! Of course, I made her laugh at me with my crazy interpretation but she helps me out with an explanation: „An old friend of mine, a long time ago, a long long time ago, made me this really cute animation which was used in my boxed products that played when you attached it. In one box, I had accidentally put the animation in full perm. And even though i fixed it a few days later, a few people had decided to use it for their stores as well. This animation was made especially for me, it is sentimental to me. So whenever I see someone using it, I ask them to please stop because it was special to me.“ To let me see it, she hands out a cute little rabbit to me which contains the said animation. Click! And here’s the snapshot of us two:

Interview: The Plastik
Vae surprises me with an all white appearance and a workspace table full of candies!
- see credits below -

Last but not least, I have a bit more to reveal for you, dear readers. First: the store will be undergoing a rebuild somewhen in the near future. If you have seen Vae‘s previous store builds than you will already know that it will be a great one. I promise you, I will take snapshots of it as soon as I may get access to the location once it’s done! And second: at Shiny Shabby, The Plastik has shown the lighter side of this brand to a bigger public. So we may look forward to jaw-dropping creations for casual and mainstream fashion as well in future! By the way: The Plastik is currently looking for participation in casual events, so don’t be shy and contact Vae if you’d like to collaborate with her for your event.

A big thank you to Vae (aikea.rieko) for taking her time, for showing her lovely work space and for giving us the chance to get to know her with interesting anecdotes and from a very personal side.





RUBILYN WEARS: 
HEAD / HAIRBASE / EYES / EYELASHES: Genesis Lab 04. Alice 2.0. Relaxe Milk @ Cosmetic Fair - Gacha
HEAD APPLIER: Genesis Lab Tara. Cream @ Cosmetic Fair - free group gift / no fee
BODY: Maitreya Lara body/hands/feet
BODY APPLIER: Genesis Lab Fluture. Maitreya Appliers (updated tones)
HAIR: Tableau Vivant Barley
EARS: [MANDALA] Steking Ears Season 5

EARRINGS / NECKLACE: The Plastik Ladae Jewelry Set. Gold tyvm!
BRACELET: The Plastik Byatrix tyvm!
NOSE PIECE: The Plastik Koralyn Bridgeclip tyvm!
BAG: KEEM "Tres Chic" Soho Leather Bag @ Tres Chic - free group gift / no fee
DRESS: Dead Dollz Isabeau. Sand
WEDGES: REIGN Peep Toe. Violet


VAE WEARS FROM HER LABEL THE PLASTIK
HORNS: Chrysophylax Horn. Snow
NECKLACE: Kore
NOSEPIECE: Koralyn Bridgeclip
NAIL APPLIER: Opaline Heavens


No comments:

Post a Comment