September 03, 2015

Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment

A few days ago, I met Kiddo Oh from Dead Dollz. She has an amazing talent for Mesh gown creations. I am following each of her blog posts to find out what newness she has to offer. Then I saw that she is in the current Enchantment event which made me looking forward to her next release already. But when I also read that she has moved her store to a new sim and saw the pictures of the stunning new location, I had to beg her for an interview! Lucky me, she agreed.
Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment
Kiddo Oh wearing her newest release O-Ren which is available at the upcoming round of
We <3 RP! (opens tomorrow on Sep 4), and Rubilyn wearing Dead Dollz' Ursula dress
I was not even really installed on the comfortable seat yet when she already shouted: „What a beautiful headpiece!“ I was wearing the Ursula headdress from The Plastik. Kiddo has been so busy within the last days and weeks with various event deadlines that she was not even able to sneak a peek on all the awesome releases of her fellow creators at Enchantment. Besides Enchantment, Dead Dollz is participating in various well-known and ambitious events, like The Epiphany, Shiny Shabby, Fantasy Gacha Carnival, Tres Chic, Vintage & Cool Fair, Festival Of Sin, The Fantasy Collective and others. It means a lot of work to meet the event requirements such as deadlines and themes. It’s even more work regarding the fact that all of her creations are original Mesh content.

Around April this year, Kiddo decided to take off all non-original Mesh products. These are gone forever. „It was necessarily evil“, she explains. „I said ‚evil‘ because most of those designs are part of myself; I loved creating them and I know people loved them. But I really wanted to get the SLOCCA certificate.“ SLOCCA stands for Original Content Creators Association. In order to apply for this certificate, all Mesh creations need to be 100% original. „So I had to let go the older creations. It was sad but in the end, I’m happy because people know me now for what I am truly capable of.“

For a short moment, we are distracted from our actual topic and discuss the use of templates. We both agree that templates are great, for various reasons, but also see the problem of the oversaturation of the market, and that the templates do put a certain limit to a vision. I go even further and say, that for me as a customer, it sometimes looks like pabulum of offers. Which is, in my opinion, a bummer. I would love to see designers to be more courageous and to create their own original content.
Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment
All clothes can now be found in these houses. It's like shopping in a huge walk-in-cupboard!
Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment
The store is up on a hill. It invites to shop but also to hang around. Visit the beach, too!
„You made a change regarding your content, and you also changed your store location. It looks totally different now. I know that you’re from Italy. The first thing I thought when I visited was: she brought her real life home to us.“ -- „Oh, yes. You know, I’m easily amused but I get easily bored, too. I do love sunken lands, and for a while it was the only environment I could see my store in. But recently I have felt the need to change. And since I love my country, I went for an italian style. The small town where I was born and raised, looks a lot like the little village on the hills here on the sim.“ She smirks and adds: „Minus the luxury pool. But all credits go to Ibi at 8f8; he’s extremly talented! I only wish it wasn’t from a gacha machine, though. It was tricky to get all the pieces.“

She laughs. Me too. We immediately know what we are talking about, and out of a sudden, we discuss enthusiastically, and with hands and feet one of our biggest weaknesses: the notorious gacha addiction! „One time, I spent way too much on a Zenith gacha machine“, I cry. „Do you know, how many copies of this Genesis Lab head I won prior to get the Emotions HUD?“, she tops it. „We obviously know both the evil side of playing gacha machines“, I whisper.

But Kiddo herself made it hard for me to resist a gacha machine: her current gacha offer is available at The Fantasy Gacha. „This is my first round at The Fantasy Gacha“, she tells me. „I was at the same time incredibly excited and truly terrified. I used to shop there and saw the level of quality of all the items. I was afraid, I could never reach that level!“ Another gacha machine was available at the recent Epiphany round. The Epiphany is a gacha event which uses a reward system where doubles can be turned into points. The points can then be redeemed for an exclusive offer. „I played often enough at The Epiphany to get your exclusive“, I admit. „I am glad to hear someone actually got it!“, Kiddo smiles. „I kept being asked: ‚How do I get the dress with the hanging-out-ass?‘“
The original inspiration for the Ursula dress at Enchantment
I wonder if this hanging-out-ass-exclusive was the pre-stage for the Ursula offer at Enchantment since I saw that hilarious inspiration picture for the dress (see picture above). „No! No!“, she laughs. „I had no idea what to do for Epiphany, so I ended up with a design I was considering for a while. The Ursula dress is actually Duchess‘ fault.“ Of course, I want to know why! „She was the one who told me: ‚Hey, what about Ursula? Everyone will be making mermaids.‘ I did want to add tentacles to the skirt, to be honest. But then I was afraid that you could not actually wear the dress. It would have been good for a picture. But not much more…“ I wonder what her face will look like when she sees what mix & match I have prepared for a picture with her dress.
Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment
Good news for those who are not so much into black is, that they will be able to purchase this simple, yet elegant classic tube dress in more colors soon. And also with more options for Mesh bodies. „I still use mostly standard sizes just because most can be combined easier for me so far“, I admit. „I am in an awkward situation“, Kiddo replies. „I know, not everyone has the Maitreya Lara body, for example. But mesh body lovers want mesh body compatible items while standard sizes lovers want me to keep doing sizes. So the process of making a mesh item became longer.“ I am not a builder myself but I heard very often about this struggle from various designers around the grid. Kiddo adds with a big grin: „It’s time consuming and we all want to offer the widest range of options. But I truly wish they will stop releasing new bodies. I guess, shoe creators think the same.“

Again, I want to come back to her various participations in events: „With your style, you are participating in casual and formal events as well as in fantasy events. Do you have any personal preference?“ -- „As already mentioned, I get easily bored. So I prefer fantasy and roleplay events, or events with a theme. Because it forces me out of my safe zone. With gowns, I have a certain expertise which can be not necessarily a good thing. You become too confident, and you tend to create less innovative items. But with a theme that is far from what I usually make I can challenge myself and see what i am truly capable of. This is a process that involves bumping the head against the wall a lot. But in the end is rewarding.“ I decide that this great explanation has to mark the end of my article.

And while I was preparing this article, I noticed what it means: we had a great and funny conversation. We were discussing more than her brand, and it was one very interesting talk. It was not easy for me to bring all that into a nice text. It was ‚a process that involves bumping the head against the wall a lot. But in the end is rewarding.‘ Very true. Thank you, Kiddo, for taking your time, and for letting us know more about you! Now let’s play some gacha… !




Interview: Dead Dollz @ Enchantment
HEAD: LeLutka Mesh Head Stella
BODY: Maitreya Lara body + SLink hands/feet
HEAD / BODY APPLIER: Lumae Adore - Eione // Anemone - free Enchantment Hunt gift
APPLIER EYE TATTOO: ARISE Mermaid Mask. purple @ Enchantment tyvm!
APPLIER LIPSTICK: SlackGirl Line-Up Lips tyvm!
HAIR: [DUE] Edita - Ombre 9 @ Fantasy Gacha - Gacha
EYES: Clemmm Unkin Mermaid. Unwanted Fog. Regular @ Enchantment tyvm!
EARS: [MANDALA] Steking Ears Season 5

HEADPIECE: aisling Calypso Crown @ Enchantment tyvm!
NECKLACE: The Annex Sea Net
MORAYS: aisling Caly's Babies @ Enchantment tyvm!
BRA: aisling Scales Bra @ Enchantment tyvm!
BANGLES: Dead Dollz Ursula @ Enchantment tyvm!
DAGGER: aisling Pacte - free Enchantment Hunt gift
DRESS: Dead Dollz Ursula @ Enchantment tyvm!
TENTACLES: Stelloane OctoQueen. Violet tyvm! - part of a full outfit

POSE: elephante poses Girl and The Sea @ Enchantment tyvm!

Last few days are running! 
Enchantment is still open until September 5th!

No comments:

Post a Comment